There is no excuse for eating processed canned soups when making one from scratch with fresh vegetables is as easy as this.
Simple ingredients come together to create a wonderfully comforting soup packed with tons of flavor.
1. Dice one onion and sweat in a pot with a dash of olive oil or butter
2. While the onions are sweating, peel one butternut squash, de-seed, and cut into chunks.
3. Save the seeds! You can rinse, dry, and roast them to use as a garnish for your soup.
4. Add 6 cups of chicken stock to the pot with the onions and toss the chunks of squash into the pot. Bring the stock to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until the squash is very tender (about 15 min).
5.Using an immersion blender, food processor, or blender puree the entire contents of the pot to create a beautifully smooth textured soup. Pour the soup back into the pot and season with a pinch of nutmeg, pinch of cinnamon, white pepper, and salt to taste. Finish soup with a couple pads of unsalted butter for a bit of richness.
6. Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche and some freshly cracked black pepper (and those roasted seeds if you like!)