My Aunt Kathy obtained this recipe from her Aunt Glory at age 19. As I sit here with my Macbook staring at the typewriter print on her recipe card I can't help but love the very last line...
"Note: Glory says this is a cinchy and yummy cake and it is her kids favorite"
Need I say more?
1 c butter
1 c water
1/2 c cocoa powder
2 c sugar
2 c flour
1/2 c buttermilk
1 t baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1 t vanilla
1/2 c butter
1/4 c cocoa
6 T milk
1 lb confectioners sugar
1 t vanilla
1 c walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Combine butter, water, and cocoa in saucepan; bring to a boil.
2. Combine sugar and flour.
3. Pour butter mixture over flour mixture and stir with a spoon.
4. Add buttermilk, baking soda, eggs, and vanilla. Stir until mixed well.
5. Pour into 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch pan. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
6. Make icing while cake bakes. Combine butter, cocoa powder, and milk.
7. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
8. Add confectioners sugar, vanilla, and nuts. Stir until blended. keep warm.
9. Pour over hot cake and spread evenly.
Cowboy Cake is super delicious by itself or you can dress it up with a scoop of Vanilla Bean or Coffee ice cream if you are feeling a bit fancy.