Hipsters and Hippies are no longer the only ones enjoying kale. According to the NRA (National Restaurant Association), Kale is hugely trending on menus across the country.
The good news? It's good for you!
Back a year or two ago when bacon seemed to be all the rage (bacon cupcakes, bacon chocolate bars, bacon pancakes, etc) everyone had to run out and buy some bigger jeans. The opposite is true this year with kale on the hot list.
The easiest way to incorporate kale into your diet would be to use it in one of your favorite dishes, like this delicious curly kale caesar salad. Ditch those artisan romaine hearts for a bunch of nutrient-packed and calcium-rich kale. You will find there are several varieties to chose from including dinosaur, curly (green and purple), and red Russian kale. The curly will be a bit more intense than the dinosaur which is more delicate and sweet. If you are a beginner in the world of kale, I recommend starting with the dinosaur kale and then you can branch out from there.
Curly Kale Caesar Salad
1-2 bunches of kale
1 lemon, juiced and zested
1 t Worcestershire
3 garlic cloves
5 anchovy fillets
1/3 cup parmesan or pecorino cheese
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
salt, to taste
cracked pepper, to taste
1. add everything except the kale and olive oil into a blender or food processor
2. while pureeing ingredients slowly add olive oil until combined and creamy
3. taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed
4. clean kale and cut thick ribs away from leaves
5. cut leaves into bite-size pieces and chill
6. toss salad right before serving and top with extra cheese and cracked pepper
Note: You can make this salad as fancy as you wish - if you are serving it as an entree, feel free to add more ingredients like roasted red peppers, cherry tomatoes, hard-boiled egg, garlic croutons, or grilled chicken breast - get creative!