Nothing says Sunday morning like warm poppyseed scones with fresh meyer lemon curd and farmers market raspberries. You can make the curd in advance and you can even make the scone dough the night before so all you have to do is pop them in the oven when you get up on Sunday while you make your coffee or tea.
Poppyseed Scones with Meyer Lemon Curd
Poppyseed Scone Ingredients
2 cups AP flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp poppyseeds
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
3/4 cup heavy cream
Meyer Lemon Curd Ingredients
3 meyer lemons, zested
1.5 cups sugar
4 T unsalted butter, room temp
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup meyer lemon juice (3-4 lemons)
1/8 tsp kosher salt
Method for Poppyseed Scones
1. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and poppyseeds in a mixing bowl.
2. Cut the cold butter into pieces and then cut it into the dry ingredients with your hands until they are the size of small peas
3. Add cream and egg and mix until dough forms
4. roll dough out onto floured surface and cut out scones
5. top each scone with sprinkle of sugar and bake on parchment paper at 375 for 15 minutes
Method for Meyer Lemon Curd
1. Add the zest of 3 meyer lemons and the sugar into a food processor and blend until zest is tiny and well-combined with the sugar
2. Whip your room temperature butter in a stand mixer until well-creamed and then add lemon sugar into the mixer too.
3. Add meyer lemon juice and egg yolks and continue mix until blended.
5. Pour mixture into a saucepan and cook over look heat, stirring continuously, until thickened (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and cool. Curd will further thicken as it cools.
6. This curd pairs beautifully with sweet berries, especially raspberries and blueberries