Whether you've got leftover salmon from last night's dinner or you are looking for a fresh take on cooking with salmon, I've got you covered. These flaked salmon cakes are perfection as a bite-size appetizer, as the base for an eggs benedict, or sandwiched between a grilled brioche bun as the perfect summer burger smeared with lemon herb aioli or tartar sauce.
makes 8-10 small cakes
2 lbs wild or sustainably raised salmon
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup mayo
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup minced fresh dill
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp hot sauce (Tabasco or Crystal work great)
kosher salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Season salmon with olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake salmon until cooked through. Let cool completely.
3. Carefully remove all pin bones and skin. Flake salmon into a large bowl - you simply pull it apart with your hands and it will naturally flake into small pieces.
4. Add all ingredients except panko. Mix gently to combine. Add 1/2 cup panko and reserve remaining 1/2 cup of crumbs.
5. Using a small ice cream scoop portion the salmon into 8-10 small cakes. Roll each cake gently in the last 1/2 cup of panko - you don't want a ton - just enough to add a little texture.
6 .Pan fry in grape seed oil and/or butter until golden brown.
7. Serve with your favorite aioli or tartar sauce.